Ireland’s biggest student film festival
Ireland’s largest student-run film festival. Dublin University Film Festival run by DU Film (Trinity College Dublin’s Film Society) presents the opportunity to showcase a selection of student-made short films from around Ireland.
For the sixth edition, exclusive panels followed by Q&A events with industry professionals and a range of student short films will be available to attend this year. The full event will include the Speaker Series with industry professionals on Friday, March 31st and the Screening and Awards Ceremony on Saturday, April 1st.
Submissions are restricted to filmmakers who are currently in part or full-time education on the island of Ireland (including on exchange), or who graduated in 2022 and made their film whilst a student in Ireland (including Northern Ireland). Previous guests include Jim Sheridan and representatives from the Fastnet Film Festival.
DUFF judges submitted films in the categories listed below. Winners will be awarded at the Screening and Awards Ceremony on Saturday, April 1st.
Best Picture Duffy selected by the Official Jury
Performance Duffy selected by the Exhibitions Officer
Sound Design Duffy
Student Voice Duffy for expressing important personal or public issues faced by young people today
Audience’s Choice Duffy voted on at the conclusion of the screenings
1. DUFF is strictly a student festival – only filmmakers who are currently in part or full-time education on the island of Ireland (including on exchange), or who graduated in 2022 and made their film whilst a student in Ireland (including Northern Ireland), can submit their work to the festival.
2. Submission deadline is midnight February 28th, 2023.
3. Films cannot exceed a running time of 12 minutes, including credits.
4. There are no restrictions regarding when the film was made – as long as you were a student when you made it, you can submit it.
5. All entrants will be notified of their selection status within a month of the submission deadline.
6. There are no premiere status requirements.
7. DUFF reserves the right to use up to 10% of the film for promotional purposes.
8. Entrants must provide a poster, a director’s biography and at least one film still as part of a press kit – we will contact you with any further details upon selection.
9. If you are in your first year at college and made the film during your first year, please specify this on your submission to be made eligible for the Committee Duffy.
10. All films submitted will automatically be put forward for consideration for awards in the categories of: Jury Duffy for best film (Gold & Silver), Chair Duffy for best performance,
Documentary Duffy for best documentary (if applicable), Directing Duffy, Screenwriting Duffy, Cinematography Duffy, Sound Duffy, Editing Duffy, Student Voice Duffy for expressing important personal or public issues faced by young people today, and Smartphone Duffy. All awards will be presented at the Awards Ceremony on Saturday, April 1st, 2023.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By entering your film for consideration for the 2023 Dublin University Film Festival, you authorise that your work is cleared for festival exhibition and accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein. Entry into the festival constitutes permission to exhibit your work at the 2023 Dublin University Film Festival. The Dublin University Film Festival is also hereby granted the right to utilise an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Dublin University Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, and screening of the films entered. The Dublin University Film Festival may opt to withdraw your work from the festival at any time for any reason. DUFF reserves the right to disqualify any submission. You acknowledge that DUFF is a festival strictly for student filmmakers and that any film submitted that is found to have been made, filmed or otherwise produced by anyone but a student is subject to immediate disqualification.